Friday 24 July 2015

'dream a little dream' review



Hey guys!!
I have been wanting to do a book review for a long time now but I was unsure where to start and what to review. However, in my June/July favourites post, I briefly spoke about a book called 'Dream A Little Dream' by Giovanna Fletcher and felt that it was a perfect book to begin with.
Dream A Little Dream is the third novel by Gi, and I am a huge fan of both of her other books. I was so excited when this came through my door and I finished the book within just a few hours!!
Dream A Little Dream is a romantic fiction novel that was released on the 18th June by Penguin. The blurb reads Sarah is doing just fine. Sure she’s been single for the last five years, and has to spend an uncomfortable amount of time around her ex-boyfriend and their mutual friends, and the rest at her tediously mundane job, but it’s fine. She’s happy(ish).
But it’s not surprising that when Sarah starts dreaming about a handsome stranger, she begins looking forward to falling asleep at night. Reality isn’t nearly as exciting. That is until her dream-stranger makes an unexpected real-life appearance, leaving Sarah questioning everything she thought she wanted.
Because people never really find the person of their dreams… do they?

I love the idea of Sarah dreaming about someone who then turns up in her everyday life, and Giovanna has presented this idea very well. Sarah is a likeable and friendly character and I wanted to be her friend and and hang out with her and Carly. She is also a very patient character as she is able to hang out with her ex and his new girlfriend without making a scene.

Brett was also a lovely character and there was a sensible difference between dream Brett and real Brett (although I preferred real Brett). I like the way Giovanna made Brett down to earth and similar to Sarah's dreams, he could have been portrayed as a very different character who was arrogant and didn't live up to Sarah's fantasies. The supporting characters in this novel were amazing too and I enjoyed the scenes where they were all together, as it felt like the reader was there too.

The story was well thought out and made me laugh, but also cry. The sensitive details were handled very well in a delicate way that didn't cause offence to readers, but went into enough detail to reach out to the reader and cause us to feel love, sympathy and passion towards the characters.

Giovanna writes in a way that causes me to feel happy, then sad and then complete sympathy towards the characters. I loved her first two novels and Dream a Little Dream certainly didn't disappoint, I cannot wait for book four!!

Also, the cover art for this book is so bright and colourful, it is not something I would usually like but I adore the warm tones combined with the house silhouettes. I would definitely recommend Giovanna's work to anybody!!



(Dream a Little Dream is available to buy from most major UK bookshops, RRP £7.99.)
Click to view on Amazon UK.
Click to view at Waterstones.
Click to view on iBooks.
I really enjoyed writing my first book review and would definitely urge you to check out Giovanna's work as her style of writing is simply wonderful. Leave a comment below as to whether or not you have read this book or recommend me something to read as I would love to do so,
Em x

No comments:

Post a Comment